The history of ChÃ¢teau Maucoil began several centuries ago. Ancient documents state that its first occupants were Romans and that they set up a base there for Caesarâ€™s legions.Later, Joseph de La Pise, Lord of Maucoil and archivist of the House of Orange-Nassau, the Dutch royal family, inherited the estate and the castle which was built in 1624. From then on, winegrowing became an intrinsic part of the history of ChÃ¢teau Maucoil. A series of illustrious families successively took over the reins of the estate and helped to establish its reputation. Already owners of another ChÃ¢teau, the Arnaud family, several generations of whom were born and raised in ChÃ¢teauneuf-du-Pape, decided to purchase the estate in 1995. BÃ©nÃ©dicte, the youngest daughter of the Arnaud family, took charge of the ChÃ¢teau with her husband Charles Bonnet in 2009.The 25 hectares of vines in the ChÃ¢teauneuf-du-Pape appellation are tended in organic agriculture since 2011.